Slot Machine Myths & Facts
- MYTH #1 - A slot machine that has received extended play with
no significant payouts is "due" to hit. (There is NO truth to
this myth. The outcome is decided by random probability factor.)
- MYTH #2 - If the machine feels cold to the touch, cold coins/tokens
should be used. Likewise, if the machine is warm to the touch, warmed
up coins/tokens should be used. (The temperature of the machine and/or
coins has absolutely NO bearing on ANYTHING.)
- MYTH #3 - If a slot machine has just hit for the top jackpot,
it isn't going to hit it again for a very, very long time. (Randomness
and probability factors decide when the machine "hits" again.
Nothing more - nothing less.)
- MYTH #4 - Casinos loosen and tighten the machines at will.
(While the casinos DO keep an eye on who wins/loses, they do NOT "tweak"
- FACT #1 - Slot machines are NOT created equal. They may look
identical on the outside, but they are totally different beasts on the
- FACT #2 - The casino always has the advantage...ALWAYS. Most
slot machines are programmed (yes, PROGRAMMED) to pay out between 83%
and 99% of the coins placed into them.
- FACT #3 - When the reels stop spinning and you see the final
combination, you are merely seeing the "will" of the microprocessor.
Nothing more - nothing less. It's (more or less) a "courtesy"
to the player. YOU as a player DO NOT affect the final outcome. If you
ever want to know what a slot machine is "thinking," just put
in a coin and pull the handle. What you see on the reels (when they are
done spinning) is the precise combination at the exact moment in time
you either pushed the "spin" button or pulled the handle.